Thursday 27 October 2011

Laying Alongside

As part of his teaching of pushing hands, John  Kells introduced the concept of laying your energy alongside that of the other.

This means not to be in opposition to the other person and to yield in such a way that you have entered forwards and are alongside them. So instead of presenting a ward off posture which effectively is in opposition, your hand and forearm are alongside the incoming push as part of the yield.

To be honest, although I understood it in a conceptual, intellectual kind of way, I could never do. It wasn't until about 12 years ago when working with John on his developing Heartwork that I began to get a glimpse.

The key moment came when he berated me for not being able to do anything. Actually he used slightly different words.It was a crisis moment for me where I had to give up / let go of my assumptions and just go for it. And it happened. It was a key insight for me in my own development. Beyond Time. Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment