Friday 11 November 2011

Giving

Giving in T'ai Chi is important. I'm talking about giving energy.

Giving energy is giving whole heartedly. Without this there is no development, no sincerity, no creation.

I once asked a student to push me on my arms held in press posture. He pushed me just with his arms at first, so I could only move him slightly. The next push was with more force but still came from the arms. He was holding back within himself. I was looking for the full committment from him, mind, body, energy. When he did, I was able to uproot him cleanly. Because he gave from himself without holding back.

The interaction and exchange of energy is part of the learning process. It is a transmission. By holding back, nothing can be gained or learned. Except , perhaps, how to be dull. It is the same for all martial arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment