Thursday 5 March 2015

Keep Things Simple

I used to over intellectualise matters concerning tai chi.

Now I don't.

It doesn't help. It's a façade.

As an example, part of my training in Sun style is to stand in San Ti posture. When I was first introduced to it, I rushed to my books and researched it, looking at the various visualisations and what I could be focusing on. And there is a lot!

I discussed this with my teacher, a disciple of the late Sun Jian Yun.

" Just stand, don't think about anything" was the advice.

So I did. I moved away from my previous practises which involved focusing on different points and connecting them.

Over time I have found a clarity in the Sun style tai chi that I hadn't experienced before. When I practise the simple movements there is a wonderful directness about them. I am energised like never before.

This is of course just my personal experience. But I have found that overthinking doesn't help. Just keep it simple and experience directly. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment